Saturday, September 13, 2014

mostly experimenting....

That's what this week turned out to be....mostly experimenting. I did finish the snippet lace collar but up against the very white blouse, it looks dirty and just not right....so the collar will be bundled and thrown in the dye pot and used on another project.

click on the images for close-ups...

snippet lace collar

I did a bit of experimenting with free form intarsia knitting...

free form intarsia knitting...colors inspired from fabric

Trying to knit the top of a sock on a ready made cotton short sock. would like a couple of pair for cold winter evenings. I don't find a regular knitted sock comfortable. I've taken this one apart and have started again. It needs a bit more tapering.

I know it looks strange but it's purely for comfort.

....and moving hankies, fabric and older sample embroideries around to use in Karen's latest class, Simply Stitch 5.

playing with vintage hankies

We are having a cool day....finally....with a steady rain.
Have a great week.

14 comments:

Nancy said...

As much as I like the look of them and the idea of homemade socks...I would not be comfortable in them either...so your idea is quite clever to me! We are not only HOT but Super Hot...supposed to go on for four more days. Ugh.

margaret said...

such a shame the collar did not work on the blouse, wonder what colour you will dye it, look forward to seeing how it turns out. Good idea to make the socks longer, I like long ones in the cold weather, still have to wear the elastic stockings underneath for the varicose veins

Rachel said...

Yes, that is an interesting idea.. Attaching the hand knit to the machine knit must be quite a challenge!

Stitching Lady said...

Once again - we went to McDo for blogreading. I see your collar will end up in the dye pot - ha, ha, this could be from me. I am overworking things, too. The moment is coming when the little bit will find its real place.

karen said...

steady rain? wonderful, I know how important that is for your area.The intarsia knitting is fabulous Deanna, very 'trendy'', lovely bright colours.

susan hemann said...

I happen to like the collar, perhaps you will like it better once it is dyed. Clever idea on the socks, I like the look. A sort of boro look. Have fun in Karen's new class! Glad to hear you have some rain. Here it was 90 then the next day fall came and it is in the 60's. Brrrrr, when is Spring?

Mosaic Magpie said...

I think your idea of knitting a top onto a ready made sock is genius! The only knitted sock foot portion that I find comfortable are felted...warm yes, but not suitable to wear with shoes. Again, great idea!
Deb

Anita said...

Lovely collar..maybe on a cream blouse it'd look better..Have fun in Karen's class!

Mo Crow said...

maybe you could just dye the white shirt a little so the collar works with it?

Nat Palaskas said...

Experimenting is a nice part of process. I think that collar would dye well. It's small enough for jar dyeing. It would be lovely - Intarsia knitting looks like fun - Enjoy your cooler weather - Hugs Nat

Ms. said...

SOCKS are my all time favorite garments! These look so comfy. This cool snap is saying the time is upon us. I love the colors in the knit--cheery. Busy as always and good for you. May you have a beautiful week no matter what the weather.

Jane said...

I'm enjoying seeing all these hankies being titivated in Karen's class. Hope you can make the collar work for something, it's turned out really well

Anonymous said...

I love how the collar turned out. I wonder if dyeing it will bring out the different stitches & texture even more? Maybe you'll like the dyed version on the blouse in the end? Or dye both of them together? Lots of possibilities….I'm sure you'll find a creative solution.

Deb G said...

comfort is what it is all about. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...